Saturday, January 14, 2012

Are You Sitting On The Fence? You could get a nasty splinter......

I had a talk with my daughter the other day.  Not mentioning any names, but it came up about the horse slaughter issue about someone she knows.  My daughter is anti-slaughter as well.  She's not super impassioned by it like I am, but she is against it and think it's horrible what is done to the horses.  

There is a fairly well known acquaintance of hers that says she is "neutral" on the horse slaughter stance.  NEUTRAL?  I only bring this up because I cannot see how, when an issue is life and death, someone can be neutral.  I think that is what's wrong with the world.  Too few people want to actually take a stand against, or for, something.  This woman is highly revered in her field which would have great impact on the slaughter issue.  But even though she "leans" anti-slaughter, she won't publicly say so.

I'm not sure if people fear for their jobs, status, don't know how to handle controversy, or just don't want to get involved.  So the speaking is left to those of us who have no sway, no pull, no following, who are virtually nobody's just trying to make a difference, trying to get people to listen, TRYING to bail out a flooded boat with a thimble.  I know not much has changed in the world, people have always pretty much been people.  But seems to me there was a decade when people weren't afraid to take up causes.  Sure wish we could have another one.  Thought we were headed that way again, but it seems to have died out, again.  Should we just give up??  Or should I just keep bailing, one thimble full at a time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment